Hmmm… When was the last time A credible company gave you something Free? Probably never, especially something as critical as a descent Home Security System.
So we have all seen the ads for these system, online, on TV in the paper, in the mail…you get it its everywhere!
A Free System normally comes with 1-2 Door/Window Sensors, a Motion Sensor, Keypad, Battery, and so forth…but wait, ACT NOW, and receive a FREE Keyfob… Sign up today!
I’m gonna keep this short and simple because it really is (short and simple).
- National Company or a “Dealer” of National Company, Sells the system
- The Client – you the Homeowner, and chances are you have to be a homeowner because if you a renting or leasing, you may not get approved when they do a Credit Check on you.
- So why would they do a credit check on you for a Free Security System? Ummm…Because they are basically financing you the system
- The Sales guy – chances are this guy is doing to this to make some Quick cash, as we have seen many National Companies bring a plethora of individuals to town for a “Summer Selling Program”, so you may or may not ever see the sales guy again.
- Service and Support, When was the last time you called an 800 number…enough said!
- The Installer, well trained? Ummm…not too sure!
The Contract -
So since its a “Free” System you will typically sign a 5-3 year contract and depending of the Monitoring Service Offering you can be paying upward of $45 for a BASIC FREE ALARM SYSTEM!!! Yeh, Sell your home and move, fall into a financial bind, or get tired and annoyed at the company for Service that sucks and try to get out of this contract, your chances are are as good as getting a seat on the next trip to the moon.
The inadequate protection-
So how much is 2 Sensors, and a Motion Detector going to protect, well, if you live in a warehouse with 2 doors and no windows, then I guess a lot… Well the sales guy told me that the system is free but I have to pay a $99 Installation Fee and my home has 10 windows, and 4 Doors and I should add another motion detector, My Free System came with 2 sensors, and 1 Motion Detector, So I need 12 Addition Sensors @ $95 Each and 1 Extra Motion Sensor at $150 each… But I don’t have a phone line, or I need a bit more protection, then Sir, you need a Cellular communicator which requires a $99 activation fee, and the device itself is $199, and the monitoring rate increases to $55 per month…WHAT!?!
Let’s do the Math…
So $55 per month for 3 years, thats $1980
oh yeah, plus the extra sensors and motion detector that I bought for $1290
Plus The Cellular Communicator of $199
Plus the Cellular Communicator activation fee of $99
Plus the Installation fee of $99
So over the course of the Lease of the system this “FREE” System cost me $3667, but after that does the monitoring rate change? Nope, still paying $55 per month for another 3-5 years, because my contract automatically renewed 30 days before my initial 3-5 year term was up…
Seriously $3667? I though the System was “FREE”
Lets look at the same protection through another company…hmmm….ummm…. lets use CounterStrike Security and Sound!
The Basic Touchscreen System; 3 Door/Window sensors, 1 Motion Sensor, 1 Keyfob, GSM Cellular Communicator etc, is $299
11 extra sensors at $45 each is $495
The extra Motion Sensor is $85
The Monitoring rate is $38 per month with a one year agreement
So Lets do the math and compare;
“FREE” Security System – $3667
CounterStrike’s System – $2247
That’s about a $1500 difference
Plus CounterStrike’s system is way more advanced, local services, and people, and my sales Dude keeps in touch…